PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special winter ops.
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2012, 09:26
uberwang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Special winter ops.

Hey Guys,

Looking for some special non standard, or standard tricks I don't know about keeping a DA40NG operation this time of year.

The problem is the fuel temp, before you can run a ECU test the left tank fuel temp needs to be warm enough. This takes up to an hour of engine running. The a/c is hangared but un heated. Was thinking of getting an installed engine heater but that does not help the fuel. As the a/c is hangared I think that's not really a huge concern, although ground power was required once this year.

So, I wondered about insulated wing covers but how much differences does that make? Tried keeping tanks relatively empty and refueling but fresh fuel is pretty cold here too. I was playing with the idea of having two hair dryers pointing in the fuel tanks for half an hour but am sure there are safety issues and quite frankly that's daft..... I think! A non aviation friend of mind suggested lighting bomb fires under the wings... Needless to say I nodded and ignored. Works in Russia on trucks apparently lol

Any advice?

Thanks

Uberwang