PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media *ucking MORONS!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2002, 01:58
Lead Balloon

Received 445 Likes on 224 Posts
More Airport Security Stupidity

At the risk of inflaming Woftam.

I travel quite a lot (monthly) to the States and have observed some very strange security practices, if Australia is going to emulate these to pacify a stupid public, then it will be just throwing good money after bad - whilst increasing frustration for business travellers.

One such practice is the Automatic marking of a passenger who changes their flight schedule (as just about every businessman does), or who has a one-way ticket (like Pheonix - LAX). Not only do you get your large bags x-ray screened, but you get tagged for an automatic search at the Gate. STUPID! Now, if I was planning to see my maker with a bunch of infidels in tow, I'd simply travel with a fellow nutcase, ensuring that I changed my flight time to the one he was on and give him my carry on bag, knowing that the chances that he would be picked would be greatly reduced. I would prefer a far more intelligent and random system, like physcographics, profiling and good 'ol randomness.

But the other punters on the plane (who I discuss this with) like the "feeling" it gives them.

So, as Creampuff would say, it is the "vibe of the thing" that matters, not the reality.

Woftam, a question for you, what security measure is going to stop someone shooting a rocket at a plane, or sharpenening a credit card to slit someones throat or taking medicines on board and mixing your own plastique or highly corrosive substance.

I'm afraid the answer, doesn't rely in $14/hr grunts at the gate.