PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Employee Costs - It's all about the AUD
Old 8th Feb 2012, 21:36
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thnx Dr Pepz for the info, although not good news for us trying to fight to retain employment here we need to face the facts. The strong Aus dollar does make it hard to compete on the labour front. I think our best asset is quality though so in Engineering the figures need to take into account many matters.

I estimate however that Qantas are collecting at least 85% of revenue in Aus dollars which for them is an absolute windfall. Whilst Qf compete with Cx, they aren't carrying as many Aussies on their aircraft as us in percentage terms however we still have to match their fares in a global market. Of course our Domestic revenue collection is all cream.

Qf's biggest Ops expenses are manpower (26%), aircraft (19%) and fuel (25%). The comination of the last two there of course benefiting completely from the strong dollar. Overall Qantas would be loving having the buck up because the 44% of their expenses that benefit exceed the 26% that don't.

They will of course continue to attack labour costs regardless of the dollar. I don't remember them demanding more work be done here when it was at 70 cents.