PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wow - I Flew Emirates Yesterday
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2012, 09:29
SMT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the topic at hand ....

I fly a lot, way too much for my own liking, as a passenger. Always out of Europe, heading either North, South, East and West. I therefore get to sample both European, North American and Asia legacy carriers, as well as the "new" entrants on the world stage.

If my travel takes me to the ME, I'll always choose Emirates over any European legacy carrier; the hard product, the service and the price is quite simply superior. If I'm going across the pond I'll never, ever, fly on a US carrier. Air Canada is ok, sometimes actually quite good, from a service point of view - but the hard product leaves a bit to be desired (the dreaded herringbone configuration). When going to Asia the choices are so vast it takes a lot of careful consideration. Again, I'll avoid European legacy carriers in favour of either an Asian legacy or ME operator, with a preference for the ME operator. Not because the hard product on the ME carriers is better, or they offer superior service; it's damn near impossible to beat ANA and SQ when it comes to service. But I'm a smoker, and stopping halfway to top up the nicotine level is something I value quite highly. Usually the ME operator will also have the cheaper offer, making my boss happier.

In my experience Asian and ME airlines consistently offer the superior product, the best service and, as good as always, the loweest price.

I do not trouble myself with "labour relations" when it comes to cabin crew and pilots, regardless of where in the world they work. Nobody forced them to sign a contract, and if they think the airline or industry doesn't suit them, there's nothing stopping them from saying adios and finding something better to do. Bonded, you say? Again, you signed the dotted line - either learn to live with the choices you've made, or just do a runner.

There is only one area where ME operators in general, and EK in particular, suck - and that's customer service when something's gone wrong. One is perpetually sent around in circles by employees who have neither the inclination nor, does it seem, the powers to do anything about complaints raised. One is left to wonder if all they've been trained to do is delay, delay, delay until the customer eventually gives up. But as always there's a solution to that as well: Registered mail attn. Mr. Tim Clark. Though I seriously doubt he will read the letter himself, it works every time - or at least the 2 times I've had something to complain about (1 x lost luggage and 1 x missed connection due to EK's consistent inability to depart on time). In both cases all my expenses were refunded (around 100 Euro's worth of shirt, underwear and socks in one case and 150 Euro for a car hire in the second) via a cheque + 50.000 miles in each case.