PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confused about new EASA regulations
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 21:27
dodos9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about new EASA regulations

Hello everyone!
I have found out by accident that the JAA is changing into EASA and the changes will start in April and then in June. I have read quite a lot on this webiste: FAQ Answer | EASA | Safety Regulation

I found out about this when I was looking for some information about what would I have to do to convert my JAA licence obtained in, for example, Spain to the CAA licence. I was thinking of doing my PPL in a European country which offers better weather to do my PPL in a shorter period of time. Since what I was trying to find out seems irrelevant now because of all the changes, I don't have to worry about converting a license obtained in a another European country to CAA (correct me if I am wrong!)

Here are some quotes from the CAA website mentioned above, which I am not entirely sure about:

A JAA or JAR-FCL licence means a licence marked “Joint Aviation Authorities” that has been issued by a mutually recognised JAA member in accordance with JAR-FCL, and is not restricted to aircraft registered in any particular State.
The term “United Kingdom licence” as used by the CAA and in the Air Navigation Order means a licence issued by the CAA that is not a JAA/JAR-FCL licence and is not a National Private Pilot’s Licence (NPPL). When the European regulations are fully implemented, United Kingdom licences will not be valid for the piloting of EASA aircraft.
Especially the last sentence I am not sure about. Does that mean that when EASA comes into place, there won't be any restrictions on where the aircraft have to be registered, so you can fly it, if you have an EASA licence? So, if I will get my PPL in Spain, I will not have to worry about ANY conversion AT ALL in order to fly any aircraft which is registered in a ANY of the EASA's Member States?

You may apply for an EASA licence for each category of aircraft; but you may only hold one EASA licence for each category. All EASA licences issued to an individual must be from the same EASA Member State, which must be the State that holds the medical records for that individual. A licence holder may change their State of Licence issue, but to do so they must have their medical records transferred to the new State and all of their EASA licences reissued by that State.
As a medical certificate must be obtained before flying solo, the State of Licence issue for an individual will be determined, at least initially, by where that first Medical Certificate is obtained.
This sort of confirms what I said about the first quote, however I don't understand what difference it makes in which country you have been issued with your EASA PPL if you can fly with no restrictions anyway (again, correct me if I misunderstood this).

EASA licences will be issued by the Competent Authorities of the EASA Member States (the CAA in the UK). No EASA Part-FCL licences can be issued before 8th April 2012. Because of the nature of the changes to EU regulations and the consequent administrative changes that must take place, the individual National Aviation Authorities may delay the implementation of the Annexes of the Aircrew Regulation. Having considered this, the CAA has decided to begin issuing EASA Part-FCL licences from 1st July 2012.
What exactly do these dates mean? If I decide to do my PPL abroad, it will definitely be after 8th April 2012 and I will probably have it issued after 1st July 2012. Is that a good or a bad thing? I understand it as a good thing in my case, because this way I will not be issued with a Spanish JAA licence, which then I would have to convert to EASA PPL, but I will be issued with EASA straight away if I am to get it after 1st July 2012. Is my thinking correct?

Thank you very much in advance

dodos9