PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 8
Thread: Ryanair - 8
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 19:19
DublinPole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There appears to be two strange situations brewing at both Modlin (Warsaw) and Budapest the last few days between Wizzair and Ryanair and this seems to be another aspect of the same situation which is coming to light.

What I think may have happened is that whilst Ryanair were pretty much the first to actually talk about new routes from Budapest last week and seemed pretty sure of getting a deal, they made the mistake of going public before it was sealed and since then Wizzair have been alerted to this, and gone in and done a deal beforehand.

After the collapse of Malev I would say that Budapest are keen to do a deal with Wizz as they are based there and are Hungarian and once such option became available they became less keen on Ryanair, with another tranche of routes launched today by Wizz (see their website), hence why Ryanair are feeling they are getting the cold shoulder.

The next chapter is going to happen on Wednesday when MOL apparently goes to Warsaw in the morning and may be in Hungary later that day, however the bad news for him is they look to have come out of both Budapest and Warsaw very much second best and Wizzair have actually managed to outplay Ryanair on this hand.

I wouldn't call it playing dirty however, I would suspect that both the airports concerned were trying to get the best deal for each other, which is easier when you have two companies wanting to fly there, and two airlines who are scrapping with each other to try and outdo the other one.

One thing is for sure, I think that we are going to have a big face off between Wizz and Ryanair in the coming months as it really is now starting to feel like the beginning of a war.