PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No jobs yet.... type rating? eaglejet? what should I do?
Old 6th Feb 2012, 20:00
Desert Budgie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muten

Based on what you have quoted from my previous post you are correct, there are jobs for 500 hour rated guys. However you left out the second and most import statement in that paragraph.

Quote:
'There are adverts for pilots with 1500 to 2000 hours total time of which 500 should be on type. If you are a fresh fATPL holder, please don't be so naive to think that the 750 hours TT you have on completion of the pay2fly scheme is enough to land you a job. Now your stuck with a type rating that is about to lapse, not enough time to be hired by a employer recruiting direct entry F/O's and a debt you can't pay off because you have no career to do so.'

You will find that most of the airlines you quoted require far more than just 500 hours on type. I know, I've looked at them for my own career progression. Then you must consider do you speak the language? This can be a requirement, particularly with some European carriers. Do you hold an unfrozen ATPL? Do you have work eligibility in some of these countries? Once you have run through the filter you will find that list becomes rather small.

Now, for the few positions you may be eligable for, you will be competing with every other rated pilot who may have thousands more hours on type prior to their furlough from a major airline.

Telstar makes an excellent point
Quote:
'Some of you are very young as was I when I set out on my career. That's not condescending, it's just a fact. With that often comes a total lack of understanding how long it takes to pay off the sums of money involved. €40-50K just for a P2F scheme, it's really hard to understand the grinding monthly debt and the length of time it takes to pay that off.'

I make a reasonably good wage. Not spectacular, but enough to pay the bills and go on holiday once a year. The first few years I was flying money was tight, and with a high cost of living, car repairs, insurances etc came growing credit card dept. To add to that I was getting married and that was going to cost a fortune! I decided to take out a 60 month loan of about £20,000 pounds to consolidate my dept and have money to put towards my wedding. Now I curse every month when £500 comes off of my account for things I bought 3 years ago and didn't need! But at least I have an income to pay it off, and I had an income prior to taking out the loan.

If you have a spare 50 grand kicking about and fancy taking a year off to fly for nothing go ahead. You obviously can afford it and don't need a deposit for a house. However if you are taking out more money, or someone is re mortgaging their house for you to pursue your hobby don't do it. It could be a decision that affects your life for years to come.

Get another job, keep current, save up for a type rating for the future incase you are OFFERED A JOB that requires you to pay for one. Join your local flying club and network. Be patient and your time will come.

And Cherrypickers, I don't think you need a poll. There are plenty of stories on these forums.

Good luck guys

Last edited by Desert Budgie; 6th Feb 2012 at 20:25.