PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VERY SAD
Thread: VERY SAD
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2012, 11:51
Lance Murdoch

Gentleman Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although not an ex pat I am a frequent business traveller to Dubai spending on average about eight weeks per year there. Ive never really had a bad experience there except for the odd cocky local mouthing off (probably because they know that the police will back them up) which I tend to let wash over me and view as an occupational hazard. I also realise that being a white Englishman I dont see 1/10 of the that those with a darker skin and the wrong passport have to contend with.

Whilst I dont think there is much the UK or any other foreign country can do to interfere in the justice system there I would suggest that one way we may be able to focus the UAE governments minds on the discrimination against foreigners there would be to keep a record of the protagonists such as those who attacked the Canadian couple and should they travel abroad then they are arrested on arrival for the offence and tried and sentenced for the crime properly.

I will say that Ive also known and worked with many Emiratis who are good people but unfortunately every society has its thug element and fair share of idiots. The problem in the UAE and some other neighbouring states is that they get backed by the law.

Last edited by Lance Murdoch; 5th Feb 2012 at 11:53. Reason: Edited for rubbish spelling