PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No jobs yet.... type rating? eaglejet? what should I do?
Old 4th Feb 2012, 21:29
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a game of luck or is it patience?

Okay as a rule I generally give these types of discussion a miss and don't really talk about my own career path but I decided to make an exception.

I spent 3 years working for an airline as Cabin Crew, I loved every minute and met some great people, travelled to some fantastic places and gained some insight along the way. However since being a tiny sprogg having sat up on the flight deck of several monarch/Britania/flying colours aircraft watching the crew at the front do their thing (when you still could), I knew that my ultimate goal was to get into those sheepskin seats at the front.

Getting there however seemed to be a fairly difficult and costly process (I was 16 when 9/11 happened and cadet schemes in my home country died a death).

I resolved that I had to make it happen. The options that were open at the time however were not particularly plentiful and were certainly costly. I work, save and go modular/self improver (cheaper but still expensive). Or I get a loan and go integrated (Which I was, as it happens, unwilling to do, my parents are wonderful but I could never ask them to risk their life's work for an fATPL).

So I came to a conclusion, I was going to have to be patient. Perhaps very patient. I took steps to reduce my outgoing expenditure so I could save money for Plan C - move back home and go to the nearby flying school and do it the old fashioned way. Plan B was to find a part sponsored scheme that was affordable or to get into the CTC scheme which at the time offered unsecured loans and good chances of permanent contract. Plan A was the whispers of airlines beginning Cadet Schemes again. After another 3 years Plan A & B came along at once.

I chose Plan A, it meant sacrificing a few things like living in the UK etc. but the offer was too good pass up. Another 3 years later I am now happily ensconced at the front of a nice aircraft not having paid a cent so far for the training (I will be on a reduced salary but hey, I can live with that).

Incredibly lucky? Yes. Smug? Perhaps a little. But the point is it happened without having to sell my soul to the bank (or worse mortgaging my parents home). What I did have to do is wait 6 years from when I decided to go do it to getting into the RHS which many experienced flyers would tell you is still pretty lucky.

These schemes and the Part Sponsored ones are few and far between and competition is fierce I know. But ask yourself if they would be if when loco's like FR and EZ started expanding at a rate of knots a few years back potential new pilots had said "No I won't pay for the privilege"?

I personally would have been willing to wait a lot longer had I needed to. I know society has a bit of a get there yesterday attitude now but surely the wait makes it all a little bit sweeter?

I still sometimes think Plan C would have been the most fun and I want to go back and do some of the steps I skipped at some point, I think flying steam around ****ty NDB only airports at some point would not only make me a better pilot but would provide an exciting challenge. But my way in was different (maybe easier?)

I suppose that's the point of my long ramble. The way in. There are plenty and yes some of them are P2F etc, but there are others that perhaps just require a little more patience and maybe a little more sacrifice but in the long run you and the industry will be better for it.

I hope you all reach the goal you are hoping for. Best of luck and please excuse my incoherent ramblings.