PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in Spain
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2002, 18:25
Bodie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point Dennisb. I know so many better and cheaper training establishments that Oxford, Cabair and BAE. These schools tend to pray on peoples belief that the airlines prefer to use them as their sole pool for pilots, but this is just not the case.

Not sure what you mean by 'contemplating one's navel' but I'll make no other comments because i'm sure you speak my language better than I speak yours!

My advice to Justin: yes you can get a licence in 60weeks but your not going to find many if any job opportunities, regardless of age. Get your ground school done with Bristol or similar, then look in to a CPL/IR with FI rating at a school like Triple A at Humberside (As an example). Save you about 20k! Spend your cash prudently as Gordon Brown would say.

As for the sim at Oxford, this is a PURE gimmick. The type of A/C you ‘MCC or JOT with’ is irrelevant. As a brand new CPL/IR holder, you don't need to be type rated or even have any experience of the aircraft the airlines uses; they will sort this out for you when you are offered the job (Hopefully). They probably won't even take in to account that you used a 737 during your MCC or JOT.

When you go for a sim ride, what they are looking for is that you know and apply the fundamentals to the flight, you don't have to know where all the dials are etc, you may have a co-pilot who you will instruct to set take off power, set cruise power etc, they will try to put you under pressure to see if you forget the fundamentals, they may try to distract you during a critical phase of the sim with trivial questions about your personal life, just to test your training and character. The fact that you happen to know where the dials are, or already have a 'feel' for the aircraft is unimportant. You could have MCC'd on a Seneca or 747 for all they care.

I am never failed to be surprised by some of the marketing ploys of these schools.

Cant answer your last question im afraid

Good luck!

Bodie.