PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in Spain
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2002, 16:05
skyhawk525

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Rain or Spain - Which ATPL FTO???

Hi

So the process in getting to choose an FTO for ATPL training continues. England or Spain? I have narrowed my choice down to BAE in Jerez for the training after much scoping out of the other FTOs and what they offer, and would appreciate any thoughts and feedback to the below questions from those fellow aviators who have gone before:

1) Has anyone gone through BAE and could tell me how you rate them, the training/instruction, their key selling points, facilities, advantages and disadvantages, and do they have credible Airline Recognition in the industry? Would anyone who went through BAE have chosen otherwise afterward/chosen an alternate FTO?

2) At age 31, am I already becoming 'old' for the airlines, given that if I commence a 60 week course in Sep '03, I will qualify at the end of 2004 at age 33?

3) BAEs simulated training appears to take place on a Hawker 800 Simulator. Oxford for example do this in a 737-400 Simulator, as well as the MCC + JOT, and say the reason for this is to recreate the most realistic environment that one would experince in the airlines. As most of the airlines of today's fleet is made up of 737 aircraft, is one not hindered by the fact that you are receiving simulated training in a simulator that pertains to an 8 seater jet? Or does this achieve the same outcome?

4) Why is it that the CAA and GAPAN only recommend 4 FTOs for ATPL training - surely there are others?

Any thoughts and feedback would be most appreciated.

Regards,

The Rookie