PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDINBURGH
Thread: EDINBURGH
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 09:22
The Hypnoboon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fully agree that they have incentive to do it, and not stand still. But my point is Scotland is not an aviation goldmine and that potential £800million or so is a lot of money, with shareholders looking for quick returns (from a lecture delivered by the head of environment at EDI, it's 5 years most investors look for a return on their investment ). That's an awful lot of money to be recouped in a short space of time, even with the holy grail of long haul. Even if a new owner was to come in and do all the necessary with Edinburgh, that BAA would not compete aggressively with Edinburgh in trying to attract long haul business to Glasgow?
I don't see MOL shifting everything to Edinburgh, he has Prestwick's management by the throat, not to mention, that Glasgow and Edinburgh are two different markets. Edinburgh is more business oriented, with a strong inward tourist pull, while Glasgow has more of the sunshine leisure routes and the long haul. (Example, look at the Ryanair routes from the cities, albeit Prestwick for the Glasgow routes).
However, that being said, it is interesting times ahead in the world of Scottish aviation..

Last edited by The Hypnoboon; 4th Feb 2012 at 09:07. Reason: poor choice of words