PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 12:21
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When on the ground I heard about what had happened to the SIA 777, I had my suspicions immediately that it was an autoland gone wrong due to lack of ILS protection.
Thanks, Marktabs for your insights, which are completly congruent with my expectations and experiences. MUC is very famous for its "jumping" localisers as well as its inhomogenious fog conditions. Locals or people flying regularly to MUC can completly understand that your localizer will do strange things because seperation provided by local ATC is not such that you are protected - unless in real LVO.

So as a far flown captain from the "warm weather league" you might want to build in some extra margins if you are not completly familiar with the local conditions.

Marktabs, just also for info for you: You are not legally protected if you brief a LVP autoland on a non LVO-in-force airport. Remember that you have to stay on Cat I minima, if you cannot make it, you have to go around. Soon after that, ATC will send some fliers in the holding and issue LVO in force. After that, everyone can do Cat III autoland to their likings. But NOT BEFORE! You might also try your luck by negotiating with ATC before your go around but be reminded that German ATC does have its own way (like they do it in UK, France, Switzerland, Australia...).

Last edited by Dani; 2nd Feb 2012 at 17:29.