PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The C27's are a coming
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 11:58
Like This - Do That

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hardly the point. Exercising one's Google-Fu will show that the USAF and the US Army are at 20 paces over urgent small scale tactical lift. A C-130J is too expensive and too valuable for the Air Force to task with lifting small - but urgent - loads or pers.

Do I detect a familiar story developing?

US Army is apparently spitting chips, and frankly I can't blame them, considering it was (in the US) a green system before its ownership was reallocated.

ADF can't afford such a pissing contest: we're too small; we're too underfunded; we're too vulnerable to bureaucratic argy-bargy; we're too risk-averse. An off-the-shelf solution is necessary and its need is immediate. On a day-to-day basis I see profound capability gaps due to the lack of tactical lift.

BTW we're now the proud owners of another couple of Chooks:

Minister for Defence – Acceptance of two CH-47D Chinook Helicopters

Gee. Seven airframes Two of which will be deployed, two will be available for tasking and ... you get the message. All the while we're spending how many dollars per job supporting the car industry? Methanol production? Spending how much on detention centres? Good thing we'll never have to fight any wars ever again.