PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2012, 08:24
Waspy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Practice autolands

In my current company, very few autolands per pilot are performed as the company policy is to perform autoland only if the airport has applied LVPs. Some guys even don't want to perform autoland if the vis is still aceptable for CAT I but LVPs are on ??? Example in CDG you are very likely to see LVPs on with an RVR of 2000m.
This has a consequence: very few pilots go over 10 autolands per year, which to my taste is not enough. I feel it in the sim and in the real world too, when I have to perform CATIII.
In my previous companies, autoland was perfomed for practice about 1/2 times a week, at pilot discretion, unless NOTAM prohibited those. I felt then a lot sharper in detecting anomalies and deviations of the system. In other words, ready to take over.

Question: I could never find a JAR document legislating on the matter. Why are some companies encouraging practice CATIII and others telling you it is prohibited (which I doubt very much) ? Is it a company responsability or a CAA decision country by country ?