PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 20:11
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Safetypee,
Perhaps the industry should reflect on why some operators believe that it is necessary to fly ‘practice’ autolands. With modern, high reliability systems it should not be necessary to prove technical integrity.

Normal procedures are best learnt in simulation, normal (without failure) operations are routine which should only require minimal refreshing. The critical procedures involving reconfiguration, go around, or lack of visual cues, all involve assessment and decision making (and the use of normal procedures); these must be taught and practiced in simulation.
I mostly agree, technically, but out in the real world I like to know exactly how the aircraft actually performs and it's not quite like the digital simulation you get indoors.

It's good to get a 'feel' for how the aeroplane flies the last 100' so you can get a heads-up when it's having a bad day and not be totally surprised when you have to take over.

I've done 'practice' i.e. no LVPs autolands when approaching directly into-sun late in the day on wet runways - I think the A/P has a better chance of a getting it right than I do after a 12hr flight.

Also, CATII, III training is but a small part of the syllabus and there is only a limited amount of time to practice normal operation. We get one landing a year in the sim. Not really enough to be familiar...