PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2012, 14:09
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Sops stated that full config 3nm before glide in auto land.
During normal ops fully config by 1000ft
Ah, now i see where your comment came from. Very non-boeing procedure, but if it is your SOP you have to follow that of course.

Anyway, we do not know any "practice Autoland" limitations or rules. An autoland can be done anytime conditions are within the autoland capability of the plane, if the minima are above CAT I and better both pilots may do an autoland at their discretion but care must be taken to take over manually very fast where LVPs are not in force, with weather below CAT I only the captain may do a landing. We used to do that in MUC quite often, if advised early enough ATC was usually able to protect the CAT II/II safety zones, if not they told us so. In that case rapid localizer deviations were normal and it was usually better to do a manual landing.

Since simulator training focuses on real CAT IIIb conditions in which only the captain may do an autoland the only chance at practicing an autoland for any FO in my outfit is during CAT I or better conditions during normal line operations. It is however extremely rare that one chooses to do so, but it is perfectly possible and even encouraged by our flight OPs department to do so from time to time.