PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French Air Traffic Strike
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2002, 19:09
XFL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you have a point, privatisation of NATS has been a complete disaster if the comments in these pages are anything to go by, but what is next weeks strike all about? Surely the single sky philosophy is just common sense.
Depends on what you call "single sky philosophy" actually. Broader harmonization ? More compatible tools and HMI ? OK, I'm for it, definitely. Yet, we have to admit the present level is quite good. In fact, it's completely equivalent for me to work with Barcelona&Madrid or with Brest, for example (excepted of course for the linguistic barrier). Journalists would say that MSA should be the same everywhere in Europe and that pilots should never change frequency :-D But except for those vital matters that have to be addressed asap, the system looks good to me.

But, if by "single sky philosophy", you mean all these FBA rubbish, then I'm afraid it's not common sense. On the contrary, it's something that scares the hell out of me.

And, to be more general than the FBAs, privatizing ATC is something that sounds too me as surreal as wanting to privatize the police, or nuclear energy... Oh, it's just been voted and is due 2007 ? May God protect us then...

There is a fine line between striking for what you believe to be right, and striking to protect your own cosy arrangements at the expense of the rest of us.
We know that. We hope that we'll stay on the good side of the line and that public opinion will realise it. And regarding the "cosy arrangements", we just want to have the best conditions possible to do our job in the safest and most comfortable conditions. We tend to work less as in UK or Maastricht, that's a fact, but it IS a security factor! And I remind you that french ATCos have amongst the lowest wages of ATCOs in Europe (only Portugal, or Greece - can't remember - are behind us). So, it's a trade-off, but IMO a good one, security-wise.

Going on strike too often over many diverse issues ( some of which bear no apparent connection to your job) only serves to dilute your arguments
I couldn't agree more. That's the reason why I (and 95% of my colleagues) were strongly opposed to today's strike ! Here, in Bordeaux 3 controllers were on strike today (out of 250) ! It does dilute our arguments, and that's exactly the reason why our administration decided the "minimum service" and hence had 90% of the flights cancelled, which triggered off mediatic attacks against us.

Are the French in Europe or not, or only when it suits them and if it is to their advantage?
Interesting question. Which could be extended to quite a few other topics! And then, I could wonder out loud if the german or the british, to name but two, are only in Europe when it suits them and if it is to their advantage