PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA 777 off the rwy at EDDM
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2012, 23:42
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am sure they were conforming to the rules but the event was initially down to carrying out an autoland without the protection of LVPs.

I would imagine it all happened very quickly judging by the fact an immediate go-around wasn't flown either automatically or manually after touchdown.

There are several learning points from the incident.

It is easy to criticise but the speed with which events occur can easily catch out all but the most prepared and vigilant, especially after a long and tiring flight.

I recall during my command training when on an approach into LHR my training captain drew my attention to the fact that we had a very light tail wind from around the half past four position and explained that from experience he had once found that a similar wind had blown the preceding aircraft's wake vortex over the threshold resulting in a violent roll just before the flare! I never forgot that and have once experienced the same since.

My point being that despite briefing and mentally preparing myself the onset and speed of the roll was dramatic and I was lucky not to have an embarrassing incident.