PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logbook entries
Thread: Logbook entries
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2012, 05:01
NuName

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAFAT

My language was not intended to be offensive and I sincerely hope it wasn't. Let me explain myself a little more. The whole point of logging instrument flight time is to indicate ones experience in manipulating an aircraft using instruments alone with no visual references. Just like logging total time and time on type. If a person was to log all IFR time as instrument FLIGHT time, especially in a two crew operation, it gives no indication whatsoever of that persons expected capabilities. In fact, they have diluted it to an extent that it is no longer of any real value. Nobody who really needs to know is going to accept that, for example, a 5,000 hour pilot who has 4,500 hours of instrument time. In answer to your question I have 8,013 TT, 6,455 PIC, 5,814 Jet, 736 total instrument time and 599 actual instrument time. Nobody needs or wants to know how many hours I have spent in upper airspace drinking coffe, chatting to the boss, trying to undestand ATC or all the other things that one does on a long flight. I once had an equipment failure on the approach to Biggin Hill at the end of a long night flight, it took me by surprise, I was very stressed but completed the go around manouver successfully only due to the previous instrument FLYING experience I had gained in the past, and I have to admit, it wasn't pretty but it was safe. I can understand that some pilots may like to see big numbers under instrument flight time, but, REALLY!
You go ahead and log your time as you did before, nothing wrong with that, but, I do hope you are keeping a record of the time you have actually flown an aircraft using instruments alone, in the real sense.