PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No jobs yet.... type rating? eaglejet? what should I do?
Old 30th Jan 2012, 03:20
yellowsubmarine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris,

I finished training in September of 2008 and only landed my first job in May of this year, therefore I do know what you're going through. Obviously every individuals situation is different but the sense of despair and angst is a sentiment that many on these forums can share, you are not alone, far from it.

I was only able to achieve a breakthrough through pure nepotism, I have no qualms in admitting that, but prior to this I really did exhaust every avenue (though the options available are limited).

To those who say 'stop being lazy, go and tow gliders or do aerial photography' please do a quick calculation of how many of these jobs are going nation/worldwide and how many people would be more than willing to do this for free.

To those who advocate P2F: YOU ARE RUINING THE AVIATION INDUSTRY!!! Only joking! The people who say this to you are not in your position, neither can they comprend what you are feeling. In my lowest moments (which were pretty god damn low) I seriously considered Eaglejet and the ilk. Eventually I decided against it, not on moral grounds but simply because after proper research it became clear that risks clearly outweighed any potential rewards.

I guess the best advice I can give you is:

Go and visit as many airfields as you can, ask for the CFO, explain your situation, offer to do any sort of work, on the reception, volunteer fire crew, making the teas, whatever it may be. That is how you start a network, from the bottom up, don't just go barging into the training captains office at BA.

Also, keep your chin up, remember that happiness could be waiting just around the corner be it inside or outside the aviation world, also get off Pprune for a while, you will not miss it and it will not miss you.

Oh and just so you know, life can still be a heck of a bi*ch even when you do fly a shiny jet for a living nor does it give you any immediate justification for your existence.