PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Road to ATP-Hell
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2002, 13:19
Cambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done the tests at Cranfield with a view to military flying and I would agree that there isn't much in the way of preparation you can do. Unlike written aptitude tests you can't skip over questions you don't like and, as far as I recall, you can't go backwards either so you have to be spot on first time.

People do these tests at their own pace (when there isn't a time restriction placed, such as reading the instructions etc) so don't get flustered if you see people getting up for a break and you aren’t anywhere near that stage. From my experience some people who rush through don't do so well, but others like to get it over with ASAP while they can still concentrate, as it can be a long couple of hours! Eat a fair bit of energy food mate, cos you need to stay sharp, and get a good nights sleep before hand. I found a few pints helped on that score.

One thing I would say is that I found the hand-eye stuff to be ok, the one where you keep the dot in the middle of the screen was easier with fluid movements as opposed to sharp ones. In that test I found that the dot requires increasing rudder to keep it centred until at some point it flies off in the other direction, but all in all there wasn't much in the way of vertical control needed (very slight). The one where you have to track the dots uses a kind of aircraft control, in that the dot will not self-centre (like a car steering wheel would). If you take the dot over to the right of the screen then you'll need to push the stick to the left to take it back again. It'll all make sense when you do it!

Stay calm, read the instructions and keep up the concentration. You'll be fine!

Cam