PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Control In-Flight solutions
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2012, 12:01
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tee Emm,

I think we'll have to disagree on what syllabus was taught in the Uk and that that was taught elsewhere then or at least our interpretation of it. I remember being shown a series of prior manouevres specifically designed to disorientate the student prior to entering the required, demonstrated recovery. To be honest you could do the manouevres 'eyes up' and the student would probably still be as disorientated! Depends on how good the Stude was.

As the aircraft were quite prone to departing controlled flight it was considered essential for the correct recovery techniques that the student was placed in a mildly uncomfortable scenario.

No it was not 'airliners' but, indeed, something a little more 'sporty' so to speak. However the basic principles of 'fly the plane' are identical. The AF accident was as a result of two/three pilots not recognising the aerodynamic state the aircraft was in and potentially relying too deeply on the fabled Airbus protections. Oddly enough the BA 747 which was almost rolled over Africa also had to utilise recovery techniques after their scrape with a mad passenger. The pilot flying (at the time the Co-Pilot, a friend of mine) was attacked and didn't have his eyes 'glued' to the PFD. He, however, recovered well (I believe they reached close to 80 degrees AOB and 60 degrees ND). He was not military trained but had flown aerobatics.

The above scenario is the scenario of which I speak for LOFT/LOE. The ability to fly the IMC we all know and love in the sim coupled with the ability to fail partial panel gives enough clues to the trainee. The previously stated scenario was given in fast jets that could depart very, very rapidly if not handled correctly.