PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2012, 13:41
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chopper 2004: You'll find more about Mann's uniquely named Alouette II 'G-FILM' on the Mann thread, specifically pages 2, 4 and 9.

Wiggy: Great to read these old ads! I have a photographer winging some further photos of AWOL towards us so, hopefully soon we shall have some additional angles on the absent 206 Always With Oil Leak!

VFR: Go on then (for the benefit of 'us' who can't remember) what's the new TBO?

Hofmeister: Been a while since I saw that movie (like 30 years ago .. when it was released) but I still remember it. Until such time as a knowledgeable Army driver pops-in what I can say is that I am reasonably confident that the Scout's 1050shp Rolls-Royce Nimbus could manage six soldiers in the back. As you know the Scout was a little lighter than the Wasp (the latter with its wheeled undercarriage, 'roof' floats and sometimes sporting reasonably weighty missiles).

The only flying scene I recall as being 'dud' (as it were) was the part where the SAS boys are dangling beneath the Scout and being lined-up for 'ramming' through the windows! But great fun to watch, lol!

As you probably know, the film's producer, Euan Lloyd, (he of 'Wild Geese' fame) was 'inspired' to create 'Who Dares Wins' by the events of the 1980 Iranian Embassy seige in London having resided not far from the scene of the action and having watched (as many did) the events unfold on TV. Much (if not all) of the aerial footage from the Iranian Embassy seige was filmed with a Heli-Tele fitted to an ex-Ferranti MBB Bo105 (G-BFYA) which was on contract to Metpol.

Ex-Ferranti Bo105C G-BFYA on contrat to Metpol and seen here at Battersea in 1980

Yoyo: Lovely pictures, well done! Images of G-AXAY evaded us for some time until PPRuNer Helipixman came to the rescue and now we have these fine shots also. Sadly, and as you say, AXAY came to grief in 1974 and which you can read about here. You can read more about AXAY on pages 6, 10 and 11 of the Mann Thread.

Can anyone identify the Bristow jock driving AVII at Southend in 1970?

Tony Wheeler has recently sent me the following images and which includes, to begin with, another rare 206; G-AXGO:

Agusta-Bell 206A G-AXGO at Redhill on 16th August 1970 (Photo: Tony Wheeler)

AXGO was Bought by Stuart Smith & Co. in 1969 and seen above probably on a maintenance visit to Bristows. AXGO was later sold on to Charles Hughesdon (Tradewinds) in 1975. As with AXAY this craft also came a cropper, in 1978. The accident summary here.

Another photo from Tony:

Agusta-Bell 47J2 G-ASNV at Coventry Airport on 10th April 1964 (Photo: Tony Wheeler)

ASNV is seen above just a few months after her acquisition by Turriff Construction of Brentford, Middlesex and if you are thinking "Turriff, I've heard that name before" then you would be right as we featured a Brantly 305 on page 19 of this thread which was owned by the same firm.

'NV' was later purchased by the Port of Bristol Authority (1966) and then by the South Western Electricity Board (SWEB) in 1970. Her pilot (with both of these organisations) was PPRuNer Speechless Two (through whom I discovered PPRuNe!).