PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dusseldorf Airport - Many aircraft landing in difficult conditions
Old 25th Jan 2012, 23:33
Chuck Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone told me after watching this video in the hotel crew lounge that any landing like that in the simulator is a sure fail in Alteon training centres...any truth to this?
Well, if anyone on check with some Alteon checkers up in SEL were to pull off that kind of landings in a sim proficient check, it's back for a recheck!

I would give a passing grade with full comprehensive debriefings on proper x-wind drift removal close to touch-down but I definitely would NOT FAIL the checkee. I live in the real world and wind gusts upon touchdowns are indeed sometimes very tricky. However it is a real stretch to say that they are " well handled ". We gotta have better standards guys.

A couple of those landngs should have been aborted...I do not agree with the uncouth tone of gerago but some of the crew should have just gone around. The b757 which went around unfortunately did not fare very much better the second time around. He landed with quite a bit of crab and drift ( real hard on the landing gears and tire scrubbing ) but the centerline control was fine.