PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ppr do you do it?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2012, 16:13
proudprivate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What i mean is PPR at some airfields is strict and others are shocked that you bothered to call..

Question is: do you actually bother or just turn up and request airfield information and lay her down anyway?
I do, because then I can in all honesty claim to have obtained "prior permission from such and such" in case some local moron acts up. It's also useful to get info on runway condition / weather / parking etc...

That being said, PPR is clearly being abused in Europe, being in place at many an airfield for no good reason at all. Remember the Jersey nonsense earlier ?
mandatory fuss serving no end
is an accurate description of the phenomenon.

It would be good to put a reason for the PPR in the AIP or on the aerodrome website if it applies.

Good reasons I've come across are
- aerodrome movements limited to 500 a year (noise abatement or other environmental concerns); PP given via an easy online booking system.
- aerodrome is inside a military base and the MP's like to know what to expect if you land outside ATS hours.
- aerodrome is very busy and you get a 20 minute arrival slot

Bad reasons for a PPR are
- airport operator wants to "brief" you on procedures (Put them in the AIP or on your website, you cretin !)
- no reason at all : PPR is given by the aerodrome pub waitress (really !) making no record whatsoever of your permission request