PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Permit Single seater
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2012, 12:31
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Ah well, there's a little known clause in the ANO which is informally referred to as the "Tiger Club" clause - since it seems to have been put there somewhere in the mists of time for their benefit.

In the 2010 ANO it sayeth...

Public transport – special rules for hire of aircraft

(1) Subject to the provisions of this article and this Part, an aircraft in flight is deemed to fly for the purpose of public transport for the purposes of Part 3 and Part 4 (other than articles 37(2) and 39(2)), if valuable consideration is given or promised for the primary purpose of conferring on a particular person the right to fly the aircraft on that flight.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to any single-seat aircraft which has a maximum total weight authorised of not more than 910kg otherwise than under a hire-purchase or conditional sale agreement.
So, a non-owned single seat aeroplane under 910kg can be hired out and the law says it's not public transport. So, you can rent out your PtF single seater quite legally, so long as MTOW is below 910kg. Sadly, that prevents me going and hiring a Spitfire, but it does let the Tiger Club hire out their turbulents.

You'll obviously need to get your insurance company onside if you do, as well as satisfy yourself. I'd suggest as a possible way to protect your 6 O'clock adapting the BMAA rules for microlight hire which were negotiated with CAA originally on the back of the Tiger Club Clause.

Is it anything good? - I'm always up for a chance to fly something new and interesting.

G