PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Budget carrier having a laugh
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2002, 10:29
Scottie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said engee73!

As an employee (and a relatively happy one) I get fed up with people using easyJet as an insurance policy. A lot of Captains in my old company used to think of eJ in those terms, alas no more as we are taking no more direct entry Captains

For those with 500hrs to 1500hrs in todays employment climate this is a good way to go from zero commercial experience to glass cockpit, medium jet and eventual command experience.

You've got two options;

1/ Don't apply and hope to get in with some other airline or come back to easyJet when you've got some commerical experience.

2/ Apply, yep be bonded for 5 years but within those 5 years you could achieve command on a brand new 737 or A319.

We have plenty of applications from pilots who are already employed or unemployed pilots with plenty of experience. At the moment easyJet, like most other jet operators in the UK, does not need to look at pilots between 500 - 1500hrs. It is doing so, albeit in a way that puts a fair amount of the risk on the candidate. It is up to the candidate as to whether they wish to take on that risk.

Rightly or wrongly the job market is European. There are still 300 ex Sabena guys without employment and a whole host of others. They've got type ratings and experience, and, at the moment, are willing to relocate.

At least those of you without experience and 500-1500 hours are getting a shot at jet employment. Afterall why should easyJet take on someone with no commercial experience over someone with a type rating and experience? Name me another airline in the UK that is offering jet employment with no commercial experience?

When the pilot shortage appears the shoe will be on the other foot, til then you're stuck with it, you choose!