PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RADIO CALLS!
Thread: RADIO CALLS!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 00:38
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LeadSled, if you don't like our procedures, you can always go home.
Morno,
For your information, this is home, and "radio communications" is one aspect of aviation at which we do not excel, with the consequent safety implications.

Much like the rest of the world, UK by and large DOES NOT differ from ICAO. Anybody who has access to the Jepp. World Wide Text can easily determine the differences to ICAO filed by most countries, in the case of UK, US,NZ, CA to name but several, may have one or two minor differences. Last time I looked, in the US it was three, all to do with conditional descent clearances. Alternatively, most NAA AIPs are now online.

The Australian WW Text entry goes on for pages. Why is flying here so different --- it's not --- except for the Australian psychological 12 mile limit, that has such a stultifying effect on the thinking of you "little Australian(s)" who have no knowledge of, and apparently have no wish to have any knowledge of ---- what happens in the big wide world of aviation.

At least, in recent years, we have moved a little closer to the rest of the world, but not nearly far enough, in understanding the difference between "communicating" and just what is little more than rote recitation of set phrases, with little thought.

The most common examples of this occur around airfields in G, with Regionals and pilots of larger GA aircraft the main offenders against good communication. At least in controlled airspace there will be a somewhat frustrated controller demanding the gaps be filled in.

I sympathies with the lot of the controllers, their standards enforcement mob are very inflexible --- a bit like Australian "radio procedures", really.

Bloggs, I wouldn't even attempt to try and explain some of the nuances of position reporting to you, it would be a waste of time and effort.

Tootle pip!!