PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RADIO CALLS!
Thread: RADIO CALLS!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2012, 03:33
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ho Hum...

Where are we?

Oh yes.

Slippery Pete

Congratulations! Someone who can actually argue a point without resorting to name calling!

That's my opinion from years of checking airline pilots, but if you don't agree that's none of my business and you are entitled to that opinion.
I've seen some pilots who are disciplined and accurate on the radio who were poor overall, and pilots with slack communications who were good overall. But they are the exception to the rule - in the vast majority of cases (>95%) the two go hand in hand.
Well, that's your opinion based on your experience. I've an extensive training background (non-aviation) and one thing my experience has told me is that there are very few individuals who have excellent skills in their entire skill-set; most people have an Achilles heel in at least one area.

I don't have an extensive aviation background (only started flying 10 years ago) but once again my experience doesn't back up your claim. I've seen gifted aviators who struggle with radio calls. I've seen people with great radio skills who can't land without denting the runway or get lost within 50 miles of departure without a GPS! I've seen pilots who are crap at everything and a very few who are great at everything. Most pilots I've seen have a skills area which isn't as good as their other skills.

So my opinion is different to yours. But my opinion doesn't lead me to make unfounded assumptions based on nothing more than how someone makes a radio call!

I'm sorry it doesn't make sense to you, but it would to most pilots who treat flying as their profession, not their job.
Well, you were able to argue one point before posting some kind of smug, patronising reply.

or this one:

It would probably take you less time to read that section of the AIP and become more compliant than to type your last post about how unimportant you think it is.
Happy to discuss the issue, if you're capable of doing so.

Bloggs

Travelator 1, Divosh 0.
Very droll, and a typical "intelligent" contribution to the debate

It was Slippery Pete and not Travelator who replied. Try to keep up, mate.

FTS

How many controllers have replied to this thread saying "nah, it's cool when pilots don't give me the required info"? None!
Well, that's because the point of this thread isn't about missing information in a radio call; it's about pilots who give all the information but who get some of the words wrong like "Taxiing" instead of "Taxi's".

But there was a controller who appreciated the "Centre, ABC, IFR taxi" call so that he could prepare to receive info.

Not communicating properly can cause back-flow problems to navigating and aviating
You'll need to explain that one a bit better.

155 posts so far and it appears that there are two groups:

Group one (Bloggs, S_P, Hold Short, et al) who consider that 100% AIP compliance 100% of the time is the only acceptable outcome when on the radio.

Group two (Me, and a few others) know the calls, but accept that some people say the wrong word (e.g. "Left" instead of "Leaving"). They also acknowledge why some people may make a radio call such as (e.g. "Centre, ABC, IFR taxi") even though it's not in the AIP.

This group don't have an issue with this because they're aware that the pilot is still communicating effectively and that effective communication is more important than 100% AIP compliance.

I've heard non-compliant calls from every airline, the RAAF as well as ATC. I've never heard ATC ask for clarification when a pilot mentions "This time", "taxiing", "Pending Clearance", etc.

DIVOSH!