PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 operational safety - somebody enlighten me
Old 21st Jan 2012, 15:19
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back here again... sorry, wasn't my intention.

TC - I think we know where you stand on the robinson range.
Of the 8 robbo's that have stoofed in the last 2 weeks, how many of those were pilot error?
I didn't know anyone knew the actual answer to this yet. Please do tell...

I think if you pulled up all the crashes over the last few years, Pro Rata, the Robbo still shines through as the most prevalent
Once again I'd be keen to see the details if you have them? Especially when corrected for the comparative number in the sky. But i'm sure your right, if you include those down to pilot error. If your going to use the old car analogy, I think it's obvious statistics would show that any fiesta (inexperienced driver) will be in more lethal accidents than mercedes (experienced driver). We know the robinson is less forgiving, and less well matched with somebody of low experience than perhaps a 206 in the event of certain mechanical failures, but i'm still not sold that this likelihood is higher (when corrected for the number in the sky, and the number of hours flown)... If we accept that level of risk, then all we can do is try to be your best at what we do, learn from the unfortunate mistakes of others, and best prepare ourself for the worst. I am not able to conclude the never ending debate, nor is anyone, unless someone actually produces the relevant statistics... But a has been said by many before, I wouldn't be flying without them, so am thankful that they are about. Thankfully for you, you don't have to get in one

Sid - I thought that was a little out of character

Last edited by Aucky; 21st Jan 2012 at 15:48.