PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 operational safety - somebody enlighten me
Old 21st Jan 2012, 13:00
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He'll be back don't worry with much the same argument as 902 (which I was waiting for). I'm not trying to put anyone down, just saying that all helicopters have risks involved. Yes a twin has added redundancy in certain circumstances, and more advanced warning systems, and in some circumstances a far more experienced pilot who might make better decisions preventing a crash. But an R44 is far from underpowered unless full of fuel and Pax. Power is all relative isn't it - 2 POB, 3/4 fuel in an R44 and your good to land anywhere that you'd want to go with 3 POB in a 206. Interestingly I sat in on an instructional flight in a 120 from Redhill, 3 up, a fair bit of fuel, and rate of climb at max take-off power @60kts was 500'min. Hardly plentiful of power but probably considered by most a 'real' helicopter. I've seen much better 3 up in an R44, and without the "dubious handling" tail rotor issues when heavy and pulling lots of power...

I'd like to fly any of the aforementioned helicopters, not bashing any of them, but accept the associated risks involved in each case.