PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YEAR 12 for airlines
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2012, 12:07
2Plus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I think most of the above sentiments are correct. You will most likely need to pass high level year 12 maths. High grades may give you the edge with some employers. But speaking from experience, there's certainly no need to ace it. As for calculus, once you've passed the maths course, don't worry too much about that stuff with respect to flying. I doubt you'll ever see it again. Make sure you have a sound understanding of trigonometry and percentage calculations. Other than that, it's all three times tables.

You don't have to be a whizz at high level maths to be a good pilot. However, being good/quick with numbers will free up your mental capacity for other tasks. For those who aren't naturals, this will come with practice, practice, practice.

And once you get in, don't stop using that ol' grey matter in favor of a Casio. Use it or lose it! It's amazing how many pilots I've seen lose the ability to do basic calculations promptly and accurately, simply because they've been relying on an electronic calculator.

Good luck! Just keep thinking of the end result!