PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RADIO CALLS!
Thread: RADIO CALLS!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2012, 02:38
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's amusing to see that this thread is still going.

Travelator

You have accused Bloggs as being black or white yet you are also guilty by stating this is compliance vs productivity. You can be compliant and productive, they are not mutually exclusive.
Actually, I was simply returning the same kind of throwaway line back at Bloggs. Nothing more than that.

If you say taxis instead of taxiing then you are being productive, however if you say taxiing then you are both productive and compliant.
I agree! I try to do all my radio calls correctly. But if I get it wrong I'm not going to obsess about it. We all have our pet hates with what we hear on the radio, but apart from rolling my eyes at the time (like this: ), I move on.

As for the climbing to flight levels. Simply say the level you are climbing to, your flight planned level. If you want to change it then can do so with ATC and everybody knows what you are doing. I am at FL350 and you say flight levels, are you planning on climbing that high? Am I going have to make a radio call to see if we conflict? If you say your flight planned altitude then that covers everyone in between and excludes all else. Far more efficient and productive.
Not sure where you're going with this, as the point was mentioning "Climbing flight levels" on the CTAF.

Big picture stuff here. If you're at FL350 why are you listening to a CTAF? You do understand that at FL350 you're in Class A airspace, so no need to call me to arrange separation?

Not sure what distance your FCOM says to monitor CTAF if arriving at a non-controlled airport (ours is 30Nm). But even if it were TOD it wouldn't matter. As I said to Hold Short, if the departing aircraft is on anything like a reciprocal heading you're going to be potentially conflicting traffic if the departure aircraft is climbing to anything over 4000' AGL. So you're probably going to have to call and arrange separation in any event.

If you can't be bothered doing it the way it is set out in the AIP then that's fine by me, just don't try and justify it by being anything other than lazy and ignorant.
Big call there, fella. I love being called lazy and ignorant because I have a different OPINION than you. If all the calls were presented in an easy to understand, easy to reference, simple manner then I might agree.

Somebody else mentioned the old "aviate, navigate, communicate" chestnut. "Communicate" being the third priority is not an excuse to be sloppy.
Agree. But Communicate is the third priority for a reason. People shouldn't be concentrating on getting "Communicate" 100% correct 100% of the time at the expense of "Aviate" or "Navigate".

Still more gold in this thread:

The other surprising fact about many of the responses to the original post is that many people fail to make the connection between slack/lazy radio use, and overall operational professionalism.
Back this statement up? Of course not.

Why stop at r/t though? How about pilots who don't have shiny shoes or who don't wear a tie or a hat? They don't care about their appearance. If they don't care about their apperance then they probably don't care about other aspects of their aviation. How about pilots who get speeding tickets? If they are so casual about road rules then they probably break avaition rules as well? How many times have you read on Prune "How can you be a professional pilot if you can't spell properly?"

I've read all these opinions here on Prune before, and they all make about the same amount of sense

Another gem

I can almost guarantee that a crew who make the effort to be accurate and compliant with AIP radio calls are more than likely to carry that professionalism through to other aspects of their flying.

Absolute rubbish! If they're accurate and compliant with their radio calls, the ONLY conclusion that you can draw is that they're accurate and compliant with their radio calls. ANY other conclusion base on r/t alone tells me that your decision making ability is faulty.

You don't have to look further than this thread to find examples from pilots who claim to have great r/t but have indicated that other aspects of their aviation could do with improvement.

DIVOSH!

P.S. Wally, and SDT