PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Over-reliance on English language
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2012, 13:38
BigFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raw nerves on view ?

That, at least, is my take on the robust nature of several replies.

It might be they reply in this way because I am talking nonsense as they claim.

Or it might be that by i) mentioning safety and ii) dicussing scenarios involving lack of communiction between staff and passengers I am mentioning something which "everyone knows about" but "polite" people prefer not to think about.

When I read the safety card and listen to the safety brief (as I did for the last time about 10 days ago) I do always wonder whether it is meaningful since if we slam into the Pyrenees we are unlikely to need our life jackets, with or without whistle and light, irrespective of whether the jacket itself be fully or partially inflated.

If however the information there might just be helpful to my family and I whether a few hundred metres east from BCN or on the tarmac at LHR, I am not convinced that the meaning and the content of shouted instructions and advice will be self evident to all passengers, especially non-English speakers, as the water laps around the door or as the choking black fumes fill the cabin.

On the other hand, should there be four or five hours available to evacuate the plane, as with the Costa Concordia, then my fears are obviously groundless as mime and improvisation will be available to supplement the unfortunate lack of language skills and EU regulations demanding them.