PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 operational safety - somebody enlighten me
Old 20th Jan 2012, 09:16
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotary Spanner: thanks for that, I was beginning to think the pond was empty.
Stringfellow: Don't get me wrong, the Robbo is 100% airworthy and a product cleverly designed to fill a niche in the market...BUT....it doesn't take prisoners.
It is extremely unforgiving when it decides not to play and would be a handful for any experienced aviator in those circumstances. Novices and people who can only just afford to fly helos (the vast majority of robbo owners) are the main customers and are the least prepared to cater for malfunctions associated with this type of helicopter. It's the three wheeler of the car world driven by people who think it's a hot hatch. (In the main).
They simply aren't equipped, trained or prepared for eventualities that other helicopters find acceptable. Do you hear the same bad news eminating from the Enstrom/300 and similar, world.
Frank R has done his bit by offering the factory training module, post sale. This highlights some of the more "sensitive" nuances of flying the robbo, but I wager the vast majority of users can't be bothered to attend.