PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RADIO CALLS!
Thread: RADIO CALLS!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2012, 01:37
Slippery_Pete

Received 361 Likes on 69 Posts
I completely agree with the author of the original post. The lack of standard phraseology is increasing.

For those who have said it's just a case of willy waving, and unimportant in the "big picture", have a look here:

http://www.pan-american.de/Desasters/Teneriff2.html

Before some of you jump up and down about accident theory, I understand there were a hell of a lot of holes in different pieces of cheese and that the KLM Captain's impatience was probably the over-riding factor. But this is a prime example where standard phraseology deteriorated into improvised radio rabble - and the end result was the world's largest single aviation accident.

The other surprising fact about many of the responses to the original post is that many people fail to make the connection between slack/lazy radio use, and overall operational professionalism. I can almost guarantee that a crew who make the effort to be accurate and compliant with AIP radio calls are more than likely to carry that professionalism through to other aspects of their flying. Fair enough, "pending clearance" or "IFR taxi" might not kill someone, but if a pilot is lazy enough to not give a sh*t about it, then tells me a lot about their attitude to other aspects of their profession.

You want some willy waving? Heard a guy make every CTAF call the other day with "SUPER King Air 350, ABC....". What a tool

I resisted the urge to say "Super Boeing 737-800 Series Next Generation" in my subsequent CTAF calls, but wasn't easy .