PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch -2
Thread: Monarch -2
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2012, 01:13
partyboy_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, to be fair, KG did describe the fact that Monarch was looking at the 737 (I don't think type was mentioned) as one of the worst kept secrets in the company. People haven't just picked this up from anywhere. That Wiki entry has confirmed what I've been warning a friend about believing everything you see on there! An untimely removal of the 787 order info on there just before it was actually confirmed somehow reinforced its accuracy in his mind?! I will just point out that Monarch does not have a base in Cork, simply flights operating from there. And where does this information about flights for TCX from LBA in 2012 come from? Someone please enlighten me. That Monarch Airlines destinations page needs a bit of a clean up!

It was also said that the 757 was in Monarch's sights for disposal. How soon this will be we we'll just have to wait and see. It will be interesting to see what happens with the VIP flying when they do go. Whilst people chant on about just how versatile or well-performing the 757 is, if it doesn't make the company money (one Capt told me it costs on average 3 times as much per pax, though not sure how true this is) then there's simply no place for it in the company. The A321 is coping very well with the current network, including the SSH's. Personally, I would favour an Airbus replacement to keep with fleet commonality.

I know there are long waiting lists for new aircraft to be made (738's, 739's, A320/1 neo's etc.), but does anyone know if aircraft leasing companies only order aircraft for onward orders of their own or do they order based on forecasted demand? Is it not feasible for Monarch to lease aircraft they need on an interim basis and place orders for their own units to arrive at a later date?

Last edited by partyboy_uk; 20th Jan 2012 at 12:57.