PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAA training at YMMB?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 02:10
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are the other savings to be had
Maintenance is the big one plus the recommended labour hours for many RA-Aus aircraft are less than their GA counterparts (particularly for a Jabiru).

An RA-Aus Level 2 mechanic can maintain the aircraft thus not requiring a LAME. That being said though, you're probably talking about a difference of $20 to $30 an hour (if that) for the L2 versus LAME, possibly less, so your point rings true, there probably isn't a huge saving. Many RA-Aus operators boast LAME maintenance so it does make you wonder if there is much of a difference in the end. Same transponder checks, still needs oil and filters changing, still uses tyres probably at a faster rate than aviation grade tyres, but engines are cheaper. Probably a percentage cheaper but not massively significant, particularly when operated from metropolis.

Bas, I can't see this being correct as much as it sounds logical:

So expect it to be the same here; "graduates" will be able to hire and fly in CTA from this school.
That would imply that I can go and get a check-ride with Melbourne Aviation in a Jabiru, then continue to fly that Jabiru into Class D Moorabbin without a PPL. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.