PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the "impossible turns" thread?
Old 14th Jan 2012, 19:22
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You guys are just amazing. The comparison with the Cessna Pilots Association, where I posted the same thing, is extremely illuminating - there it has resulted in a friendly discussion rather than the sh1tst0rm of people trying to prove how superior they are which has happened here.

I did this in my TR182. I said so. It is NOT an aerobatic aircraft. I also did not stall it nor get anywhere close. I said that too. The means I used to not stall it, was to calculate the theoretical stall speed, then add a generous margin. Generous enough that the stall warning did not activate, except briefly from time to time. That would be my first indication. The second indication would be mushy controls - and they get VERY mushy on the 182, close to the stall. There is no buffet to speak of. But the 182 (mine away) has a very docile stall if you enter it gently.

As they say, the superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid being obliged to use his superior skills. My judgement here was to give myself enough margin above the stall that I wouldn't NEED to be feeling my way at the edge of a stall - which I'm quite capable of doing, thanks very much. Just I'd prefer not to at a couple of hundred feet AGL. I'd prefer to have my personal limit for the turnback be a tad higher so I don't have to do that. (My guess is that flying on the hairy edge of a stall might give you another 50 feet or less - not worth trying).