PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How often do you practice emergencies?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2012, 20:18
Crankshaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- PFL - Every second landing or so I try do do as a PFL if traffic permits. And from different heights, positions, alternating left/right hand patterns as to not get used to a specific path, windeffect or similar.

- Stall recovery in cruise - A bit of a non event in my aircraft, but I do every now an then a few stalls in different configurations and attitudes.

- Stall recovery from a simulated approach - See above.

- Cable break - Actually I was thinking of control cables here rather than towing cables. Yes, sometimes I pretend that either my rudder, elevator or ailerons has failed, and try do do the circuit without any input with the selected controls.

- Fire - When I do PFL's I try to "surprise" myself with different reasons for the engine failure. Sometimes it happens to be an engine fire. After a simulated shutdown I also go through different smoke scenarios that requires excercising of the vents, cabin heat, and maybe sideslipping.

- EFATO - If we're talking about engine failure just after rotation I don't do this as my normal field is a bit too short to do it safely. In the climb-out I try to think about an engine failure every time but rarely practise unless I fly as an instructor. I think the excercise is a bit pointless whithout the surprise factor. At my regular field I have my well briefed emergency fields for this event.

- Inadvertent flight into IMC? - I fly IFR regularly.

- Anything else?

When I haven't flown for a while I use to do a couple of circuits. At least once I make a balked landing at a late stage. I've more than once had to do this for real at my uncontrolled strip due to people or animals (mostly deers) crossing the runway. My current aircraft doesn't have any flaps but otherwise that would be included in my own refresher as well.

Nobody should be doing circuits in an aeroplane they don't understand the low speed handling of.
I absolutely agree. I've been doing a few refresher flights with people flying like this and the results is inevitably that they fly the approach and landing with far too high speeds and making very long landings.