PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SY ATIS. Is anyone home!!Long.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2002, 22:36
Ramjager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Nofurtherrequirements
Thanks for the info on the ATIS changes and requirements.
Just on the briefs you will find many companies vary landing configurations based on Wx/Rwy requirements.
If we are going to be visual by 1000ft then any configuration can be used but if not then an instrument app config is required to be used.
This not only changes the physical config of the a/c but also an entire procedural change in terms of full app brief's as opposed self briefs etc.
This is where i think the problem is as i am not sure you guys are told or taught that the way we fly and how we fly strictly depends on conditions at the field.
If its BKN at 2000 and we are using the ILS to become visual at 7nm below the base you will find that most crews are doing a self brief of the app freq's final app crs etc as there is NO intention of going even remotely near the minima or even past the FAF.
We are often told via the ATIS at YSSY to expect an ILS yet we are visual at 35-45nm with only sct cloud below and the field in sight.No matter how many visual calls you make we still end up out at 15-17nm being vertored around the loop onto an ILS which is not required.
ATC is SY do a good job generally in the conditions in which they are req'd to operate what we want is a little more proactive info from the guys and girls in the tower.

PS Talking about ATIS i think CB is the opposite end of the spectrum as on Wed the temp went from 22 to 33 as the info went from Romeo to sierra!!

All the best