PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C152 Landing
Thread: C152 Landing
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2012, 02:43
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Back before I was a truly responsible pilot, I was asked to ferry a 172 up to another local airport, rather than taking my plane as intended. The 172 had just had an inspection, and was needed up there for training. It was not convenient for me, but I did as a favour.

When I taxied out on the grass, it was pulling to the left. I saw that wheel would not turn. It seemed very happy to slide on the wet grass, and I was late already, so I tried a takeoff roll/slide. It was fine on the grass, and I was airborne pretty well as normal. Upon arrival, I landed on the grass runway, still wet with the morning dew, and taxied up to the pave ramp. I stopped short, and shut down. The instructor who had arranged all of this at the last minute gave me a foul look, and asked why I had not taxied all the way in.

I told him: "you'll figure it out....", and handed him the keys.

Apparently when the maintainer swapped out a brake part, he did not think to actually check it was the right part, and that the brake functioned properly. One of my many lessons on being very careful with recently maintained airplanes.....