PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RADIO CALLS!
Thread: RADIO CALLS!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 21:46
VH-FTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously, being clear and concise missing part of the info is more professional than spitting it out as fast as possible 100% correct
Ever been flying around SYD/BNE/MEL approach with many many aircraft in the airspace? You have to be clear yet efficient. You need to learn the call properly to avoid the following from happening:

At least when the guy whom is clear is understood and can be questioned for further info if needed........i.e ABC you needed to read that back to me in full, or OCTA, "BBB, what level are you at?" Or we just be a prig, "CCC why don't you read the AIP so your calls are correct
With the rate of change of the rules in this country, its a wonder anyone can get their R/T 100% correct all the time.
Most calls haven't changed in a long time. CTAF calls were amended in 2005, then a slight change as when to make them 18 months ago (but the format didn't change). Old mate in his 182 has had plenty of time and educational material to get it right and not come blasting through a major CTAF or CTA talking dribble.

Aviate, Navigate, communicate.
Yep, do it in that order, but do it all properly. jas24zzk, you hope to join Rex or someone similar one day. I'd hope by the time you get an aviation job and stop bashing car bodies around that you have realised the importance of being professional in every aspect of being a pilot, including radio calls. Everyone has their own style and there are moments of humour - don't think anyone is saying that should change. But learning what to say is just part of your job, whether you do it recreationally or for a living. Get it right early in your career and you'll be thankful later.