PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 18:32
Fruet Mich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

I am a colour devicient pilot, fail the Ishihara, farnsworth, Holmes wright and just recently the CAD test in a big way! It diagnosis severe CVD. I do however pass with ease a practical environmental test in an aircraft testing papi, tower signal gun and all other aeronautical lights known to man.

This just goes to show that there is very little understanding in the field of science when it comes to colour vision and it's application to aviation.

I believe the CAD test is a result of a study group that was put together after the only accident in the history of aviation that involved a colour deficient FO in the 2002 FedEx B727 Tallahassee crash. The rather dubious findings put part of the blame on the FO having a history of CVD not correctly identifying the papi approach lights. He was an ex navy pilot with thousands of hours experience. Interesting thing was that 66% of the crew, the Capt and Flight Engineer, all pilots on board that day told the enquiry the all saw the aircraft on papi slope yet the findings put part of the accident down to CVD. The FAA asked for a study group to be formed, from there the infamous CAD was conceived!

The interesting thing is, has the FO from the Tallehassee crash ever been tested on CAD?

In Britain I believe there is a law against discrimination? Don't let these authorities dictate your future without backing their scientific theories with hard evidence. There would have to be millions of flight hours flown safely under CVD pilots with no accidents against a scientific theory. It's a bit like FAA signing off a new type of aircraft or engine after so many test flights.

Don't give in to these academics. Take them to task, if you can prove you can see the colours in aviation that's all you have to do.

I also failed the Emirates CAD, oh well, maybe it was a blessing in disguise!

Happy flying