PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C152 Landing
Thread: C152 Landing
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2012, 12:51
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
MJ, are you sersiously telleing me you have never followed through with a student!!?
While flying a 152, in conditions, and at a runway of suitable dimensions for training, I cannot imagine the need to "follow through" for steering. Nothing happens that fast in the yaw axis of a 152! In a taildragger, twin on one engine, or helicopter, yes, but not a 152.

Some French C150s had it [no nosewheel steering], too - I learned in one.
Perhaps you were just flying one in which the steering did not work (broken pushrod springs probably). 150's have had nosewheel steering since the beginning. Those pushrod springs form a part of the rudder control system, as they act to center the rudder, which is a part of the certification of the aircraft. It probably would not pass without them.

I 150 I was took care of was released from inspection. I test flew it. It would not track straight while taxiing, or on the runway. With some difficulty in directional control, I got it airborne. One the nosewheel extended, and the centering cam centered it, one rudder pedal went completely limp, and the plane yawed. The mechanic who had fixed to plane had reassembled the two steering pushrods left for right. One is about two inches longer than the other (to account for the two rudder pedal torque tubes being one behind the other). Thus the spring from one overpowered the other, and completely fouled the rudder control system. He was quite a while making it right, but when he did, it flew fine.