PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C152 Landing
Thread: C152 Landing
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2012, 11:55
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, there will be alot of FI's out there that will give exactly the same advice.
Thats getting into massive thread drift though. An FI is only as good as the initial training they recieve which is pretty uniform followed by the initial standardisation and subsequent supervision.

Once they have been standarised it is then down to personal motiviation which governs how they develop. This is where it varies greatly unfortunatly. There are as many Instructors dedicated to teaching as there are those who only dream of an airliner but to judge all Instructors the same is a little unfair.

I came from the CRI SE then ME along with IRI and through FI and eventually a Flight Examiner. I found the transition from CRI to FI quite difficult as the mindset of both Instructor and Student is very different when you are dealing with ab-initio and experienced students. It is much easier to teach experienced pilots who already grasp the concepts (even if you do wonder how some of them ever got a PPL!) than it is to convey concepts to someone who knows nothing. This is where the good Instructor has to be in tune with the student needs and understand the problems. A lot of Instructors sadly don't.

I rarely have contact with ab-initio anymore but I do remember clearly the trepidation of 1st solo's. It is easier to send someone of in the turbines than a PPL solo!!

So while I do agree with many of MJ's and others comments about Instruction standards, I also think that there is a lot of one sided judgement going on here that should be avoided.