PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Failures at Korean Air - Conspiracies or poor candidates?
Old 10th Jan 2012, 10:13
Prince Rupert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of late, I have heard that KAL is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. As such they do have a lot of dodgy candidates with dubious hours and claimed experience. Some passed through the hoops with relative ease but quite a number got caught.

I left some time ago, so I do not know the current situation. During my time there, there were 2 Canuck trainers, 4 Malysians on T7. On the A330, there were also a few Canucks, a Thai and 2 Iranians appointed as trainers. There are a few expat trainers on the B737 too. On the T7, the 2 Canuck trainers failed their " checker rides " by the KCASA checker for some silly reasons.

All told, it is actually a lousy job with an additional USD800, but I wonder why all the expats were clamoring to be trainers and checkers. Despite their denials that they do not want to be trainers, almost all the expats secretly harbor ambitions to be instructors. I only know one, a Malysian, who flatly told the Training Business Bureau he had better things to do. When I checked out at the Flight Admin on the 7th floor of the OC building in Gimpo with my final clearance, I saw some kind of incredulous looks on the Korean chief trainers when this guy categorically told them that he did not want the job eventhough they had identified him for selection during a trainers meeting. He was pre-empting his selection just in case they roster him for checkers/instructors training as a " surprise fait accompli " where one cannot refuse without causing severe loss of face!

The expats at the audit department are toothless possums who write tons of useless reports. There was only one Aussie maverick who did a good job but sadly, he was let go from audit after ruffling some feathers; his contract was almost not renewed.

No, the foreign trainers cannot help much. At best they just give KAL some semblance of " fair hiring " but there is certainly zero equal opportunity.