PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RADIO CALLS!
Thread: RADIO CALLS!
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2012, 09:12
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compliance rules, ok!...

LeadSled

the anal Australian approach to compliance, at the cost of communication ---- and the problem has become self perpetuating.
My opinion:

Over the last 20 or 30 years, the Australian Government has lost the ability to legislate for or otherwise create productivity or performance in either the public and private sector. This is coupled with a simliar loss on how to monitor productivity or performance.

This has resulted in a public service that is only able to monitor compliance! In the absence of being able to create productivity, all the government can do is create more regulations, which creates the need to monitor compliance with the new regulations. This is how the public service measures success, IMHO.

This attitude is now pervading Australian society and we're picking up on it.

Evidenced by threads such as this one, where people appear to be losing sleep over whether someone else says "Taxi's" instead of "Taxiing".

Really, some of you guys are holding on a bit tight.

Hold Short. You sound like you need to get out in the world a bit more. I'm guessing you've never flown into Darwin where the controllers insist on POB even if you're RPT?

Also, IFR Departure and Taxi Reports should be transmitted with the correct sequence WITHOUT the use of "ABC, IFR Departure" and "ABC, IFR Taxi".
Guess you've not operated in an HF environment then? I first heard other pilots calling "IFR Taxi" when I was flying in the Tiwi islands where there is only HF comms on the ground at many places. It gave the HF operator a second to get his/her self ready to copy. I repeated a few taxi calls to HF before I got into this habit.

And finally, cancelling Sarwatch should be phrased for an IFR Aircraft as:

"ABC, Landed (location) cancel SARWATCH' or "ABC, in the circuit area (location) cancel SARWATCH".

NOT SAR!
As mentioned earlier, if you're flying IFR and you call up on the ground to cancel "SAR", I'm thinking the Controller is going to know that it's Sarwatch and not Sartime.

You're getting wrapped around the axles on some pretty anal stuff like "Sar" vs. "Sarwatch". How about all the IFR pilots who cancel Sar (sorry, Sarwatch ) when they're over 5 Nm from the airport? Saw this plenty of times when I'm in the circuit. Someone cancels Sar(watch) at my aerodrome, I'm looking for them then they'll call "10 miles inbound" on CTAF.

There's some gold in this thread...

While we're at it... it's "LEAVING FL350" not "LEFT FL350"!

And no it's not pedantic..it's so altitudes are not confused with radar headings...
Funny stuff. I can't recall the last time I was asked to turn LEFT onto heading FL350 . Confusion? Not sure about you, but I think that the words "turn onto heading" before the number prevent any confusion. Similarly, "climb to" or "descend to" generally give me the impression that the Controller wants me to climb or descend, and not turn.

Another gem:

Ohhh and to those pressurised aircraft drivers, when departing a non-controlled aerodrome, SAY the flight level you are on climb to! Not just FLIGHT LEVELS!

Remember there are and very well could be PRESSURISED VFR AIRCRAFT flying below FL180 or more so below FL245 in some sections of Australian airspace!
Most people I see "flight levels" when departing non-towered airports. ATCO's often give traffic as "climbing flight levels". Why? Possibly because it's highly unlikely that anyone listening on CTAF is going to care, as long as they know I'm climbing to over 10,000'! Any IFR would already be aware of me and my intentions already, similarly to meatbombers.

When is a VFR (pressurised or not) going to be monitoring a CTAF? Arriving, departing, or transiting. How many CTAF's extend up to the flight levels? And how many VFR pilots flying at flight levels monitor the CTAF's they're flying over?

If a VFR is arriving to an AD and decides to monitor CTAF from 40Nm (13,000' ish) and hears an RPT giving a departure report on a reciprocal heading and hears that the RPT is climbing to "Flight levels" instead of "FL180", he's not going to care which flight level.

Nit, my RAAF instructor eons ago said that if your R/T is slack, the rest of your flying is probably slack too.
LOVE comments like that. Did your instructor also say that if you had sloppy parade ground drill it meant that you're probably a sloppy pilot as well? Makes about as much sense.

DIVOSH!