PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Questions about Private Flying
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2012, 16:27
proudprivate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> Ultimately I want to be able to fly to different destinations in Europe. How long would it take to fly say Paris from Manchester?
Assuming you fly at 125 mph, it would take just under 4 hours.

How much would the fuel cost?
Assuming you are burning 10 US gallons per hour, you would use just under 145 litres, @ £ 1.80 per litre gives just over £250.

How long would it take to plan the route?
With the right software package, a couple of minutes. With your protractor and maps and pages of notams, the better part of a day.

Is it straightforward to access their airspace?
If you have filed a flight plan and stick to the rules, yes.

How many miles of fuel would I have with the typical aircraft you can fly with a ppl license?
That strongly varies. Assuming a single engine 4 seater with 48 usable gallons, operated at an economy power setting, about 4 hours + 45 minutes reserve should be possible. Again assuming 125 mph (but that depends on wind conditions), your action radius would be 500 miles plus reserve.
But there are aircraft out there with long range tanks that can be flown with a PPL license at relatively high altitude which would give you a range of 1000 miles+

> If it costs around £240 / hour to hire an aircraft, how would you stay at your destination for any period of time without it costing the earth.
That price is most probably a "wet rental", which means you pay per FLIGHT hour (use of Avgas included), not for the hours on the ground. The rental company would offer you a price per flight hour and another fee per day that you have the aircraft out for an overnight stay.
Also, prices for aircraft rentals vary hugely. £240 / hour sounds already upmarketisch. Maybe for a 6-seater or a faster 4-seater.

Is there anything like hire cars where you can drop them back at any Hertz etc?
Not in the PPL-type standard range of aircraft. Can you imagine what the "drop off charges" would be ?

> Is there anything else that is very important to know before I start?
Yep :
1. Can you afford a hobby that will take up most of your spare time and will cost you around £ 10,000 per annum on average ?
2. Are you medically fit, i.e. would you pass all medical requirements for the level of aviation that you ultimately want to achieve (from what you are telling me, travelling around Europe, you would need a PPL + Instrument Rating, which requires a Class 2 medical + no hearing problems)

Good luck,

PP.